Bollywood Movies Based on Politics:
Politics isn’t all about “Netagiri” and “Janta”, sometimes politics gives the right storyline for some great cinema too. Call it inspirational, learning lesson or simply entertainment, politics can be quite a moolah-raker!! Through the years, many a political figure, an incident has inspired filmmakers to connect politics to main line cinema with movies like Aandhi, Yuva, Raajneeti, Bombay and many others.
Here is a list of Bollywood movies based on politics:
- Main Azaad Hoon (1989)
- Kissa Kursi Ka (1977)
- Leader (1964)
- Aaj Ka M.L.A. Ram Avtar (1984)
- Inquilaab (1984)
- Garm Hava (1973)
- Hu Tu Tu (1999)
- Aandhi (1975)
- Raajneeti (2010)
- Gulaal (2009)
- Sarkar Raj (2008)
- Sarkar (2005)
- Shool (1999)
- Satta (2003)
- Rann (2010)
- New Delhi Times (1986)
- Firaaq (2008)
- Haasil (2003)
- Chakravyuh (2012)
- Aarakshan (2011)
- Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi (2003)
- Rakht Charitra (2010)
- Nayak: The Real Hero (2001)
- Yuva (2004)
- Ek Bura Aadmi (2013)
- Satyagraha (2013)
- Shanghai (2012)
- Youngistaan (2014)
- Dirty Politics (2015)
- Raajneeti 2 (2015)
- Peepli Live was a comic satire on farmer suicides in India and the politicians of India.
- Firaaq is based on the Gujarat riots of 2002 and how it changed people’s lives forever.
- Thackeray based on the life of Bala Saheb Thackeray
- The Accidental Prime Minister based on India’s former prime minister Manmohan Singh. It is 2014 memoir by Indian policy analyst Sanjaya Baru
- Batla House based on the controversial Delhi’s Batla House encounter.
- The Tashkent Files showcases the tragic demise of the former prime minister of India Lal Bahadur Shashtri.
- Chakravyuh is based on the issues of Naxalites.
Politics and political figures always seem to be a starting point for Bollywood filmmakers to churn out socially relevant films for entertainment and awareness at the same time.
Also See: List of Telugu Language Comedy Films