Bollywood Actors Who Performed Hajj:
The word “Hajj” is an Arabic word that means to intend a journey. Hajj is the annual traditional pilgrimage to Mecca that every Muslim is expected to make in his lifetime. It is the fifth pillar of Islam and the pilgrimage must take place during the auspicious month of Dhu al Hijja. Every year about 3 million people perform the Hajj and travel to Mecca from around the world. India also sees a large number of Muslim population perform the Hajj pilgrimage each year, however due to strict restrictions by the Saudi Government many Bollywood actors weren’t allowed to perform Hajj.
The lifting of sanctions from Bollywood stars performing Hajj has led to these actors undertake Hajj. Here is a list of Bollywood actors who performed Hajj:
- The actor was one of the first, after the lifting of restrictions by the Saudi Govt., to have performed Hajj in 2012. He took his mother Zainat Hussein with him on Hajj.
- The versatile actor Kader Khan performed the pilgrimage of Hajj in 2014 along with his sons Shahnawaz and Sarfaraz.
Dilip Kumar and Saira Bano
- The nonagenarian Dilip Kumar performed Hajj along with his wife and Bollywood actress Saira Bano in the year 2014.
A R Rahman
- Apart from the Bollywood actors, the celebrated singer and musician A R Rahman has also performed Hajj twice, once in 2004 and then in 2006.
- The charismatic singer Mohammad Rafi also performed Hajj in 1970.
Hajj is performed during fixed Islamic dates of the calendar. A person has be in good physical and mental health to perform Hajj along with financial stability to undertake the pilgrimage. The Hajj pilgrimage has some main rituals which include the Ihram, Tawaf, Al-Safa and Al- Marwah, Mount Arafat, stoning the devil, Eid ul Adha and Qurbani. A devout muslim must undertake the pilgrimage of Hajj in their lifetime.