Bollywood Actors Who Turned Directors:
Bollywood actors keep experimenting not only with the characters they portray in the films but also their roles between acting, production and direction. Bollywood is filled with stories of actors who turned out to be great directors as well.
Here is a list of Bollywood actors who turned directors:
1. Ajay Devgn
– Ajay directed a romantic film in 2008, ‘U Me Aur Hum’, starring Kajol and himself. Ajay was back again behind the camera in 2016 with ‘Shivaay’.
2. Aamir Khan
– The perfectionist in Aamir Khan never sits still. His directorial debut Taare Zameen Par was one of the finest movies ever.
3. Nandita Das
– The very talented Nandita Das is known for doing art offe beat films. She turned director with the film with Firaaq which was based on the 2002 Gujarat riots.
4. Sunny Deol –
Sunny Deol directed ‘Dillagi’ starring Bobby Deol, Urmila Matondkar and himself. The ‘Gaddar’ actor donned the director’s hat for ‘Ghayal Once Again’ (2016), which is a sequel to his own 1990 hit film ‘Ghayal’.
5. Hema Malini
– The dream girl never seems to age. She turned to direction with the Shah Rukh Khan starrer Dil Aashna Hai.
6. Naseeruddin Shah
– The versatile actor directed the film Yun Hota Toh Kya Hota.
7. Abhishek Kapoor –
A not so known actor Abhishek Kapoor who debuted with the film “Uff! Yeh Mohabbat” opposite Twinkle Khanna in 1996. He turned out to be an exceptional director with films like ‘Rock On!’ and ‘Fitoor’.
8. Arbaaz Khan
– Though the actor tried his level best as an actor in comic and action roles, Arbaaz Khan excelled as a director with the film Dabangg 2.
9. Pooja Bhatt
– Her acting career began with the film Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahi and was an instant success. Many other films followed including Sadak and other. Until she turned to direction, Pooja Bhatt has directed many bold movies like Jism 2, Dhokha and Paap.
10. Rajat Kapoor
– A very talented actor Rajat Kapoor has also directed some winners like Raghu Romeo, Mithya, Ankhon Dekhi and others.
11. Pankaj Kapur
– An acclaimed actor, he directed Mausam starring Shahid Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor.
12. Anupam Kher –
Undoubtedly, one of the most versatile actors in Bollywood, Anupam Kher directed the movie Om Jai Jagdish.
These Bollywood actors have proven beyond a doubt that Bollywood actors can be successful directors too.
Also see: List of Bollywood Stars Who Are Bengali